Race Registration System
Race registration can be made here: https://theautomatedclub.com/hevents/enter/NewcastleInternational
You must select the event you wish to enter, enter your details including date of birth and pay via a Visa or Mastercard. You will be sent an email to confirm the entry. Please check the spam or junk email folder in the case you do not receive an email within 1 hour.
The race is being administered by Newcastle based Sports Event company, H Events. For enquiries please contact Event Director, Paul Humphreys on:
Phone: +61 2 49348138 or mobile phone 0409684246 (inside Australia) or +61409684246 (outside Australia)
Race Fee Inclusions
- Internationally Accredited Course measurement for the Half Marathon distance
- Professionally staged event
- Live Electronic Chip Timing
- Professional Race master of ceremonies
- Finisher Medals
- Souvenir Race Shirts (if entered by Sun 22 Sept 2019)
- Drink Stations along the course
- Recovery area and drink station
Race Kit Collection & Late Entries
At the Event Compound – Camp Shortland, Nobbys Beach, Off Wharf Rd Newcastle
- Saturday, 5 Oct 2019: 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Sunday, 6 Oct 2019: 5.30am – 7.15am
Please bring photo ID to collect your kits. If collecting for others you need written permission and photo ID for yourself. We suggest Team captains make the pick-up arrangements very clear to avoid collection or non-collection of kits. Due to the scale of the event we suggest you pick up your race kit on Saturday for Sunday’s events.
The Newcastle International Half Marathon course is one of the most picturesque courses in Australia. Staged from Camp Shortland Park next to Nobbys Beach, the event meanders along the Harbour Foreshore, around Fort Scratchley, Nobbys and Newcastle Beaches, King Edward Park and along Merewether Beach. The course is not easy but has outstanding views along the entire course.
The details of the course are:
- Start and Finish from Camp Shortland, Nobbys Beach, Newcastle
- Note: Runners always stay to the right of the marked course.
- Run 200m into the Horseshoe Beach Car Park and swing left along Horseshoe Beach Rd until Wharf Rd
- Turn right into Wharf Rd and follow Wharf Rd for 1.5km to the intersection of Argyle St
- Turn right into the access for Honeysuckle Foreshore
- Runners have a marked and barricaded chute though the Honeysuckle area until Worth Place
- At Worth place runners enter the northern side of Honeysuckle Drive and run until the bike path which leads to the Newcastle Marina.
- At the edge of the Marina precinct, runners will turn and return to the Nobbys area using the same course, staying to the right.
- At Nobbys Rd roundabout runners will turn right and run up Nobbys Rd until a left turn into Fort Drive and continue until returning to Nobbys Rd
- At Nobbys Rd runners turn right onto Nobbys and then immediately right into Shortland Esplanade
- Runners run on Shortland Esplanade for 1km until they are directed to move left to the Bathers Way just south of the Ocean St
- Once on the Bathers Way, runners run past the Skate Park and into King Edward Park and then York St until the top of the park.
- At the top of King Edward Park, runners enter the Bathers Way Path until Memorial Drive where they turn left and enter Memorial Drive
- Runners follow Memorial Drive until Kilgore St, where they turn right into a short out and back section on Kilgore St and then re-enter the Bathers Way.
- Runners will run to a turn point at Merewether Beach and return to Memorial Drive and back the same path to Nobbys Beach roundabout, following the same course
- At the roundabout runners will turn right and enter the Bathers Way and Break-wall until a turn point near the sea wall of the Harbour.
- Runners will return to the finish line at Camp Shortland via the top car parks and finish chute.
Map of the course
Note: Runners who have not completed 15km by 9.30am, will be asked to move to the footpath on Memorial Drive until King Edward Park)
Adult entrants will automatically be assigned to their respective age categories when entering their date of birth during the entry process. Ages are as on race day. Adult age categories for the Half Marathon are: 16-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69 and 70+.
Children in the 5km event
- Unaccompanied children aged 8 years or older can be entered in the 5km run/walk.
- All children under 8 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Children will be entered into following age categories: 8-11, 12-13, 14-15 and 16-17.
- Strollers are allowable in the walk however should start at the rear of the pack and stay to the left.
Please contact us for details on: (02) 4934 8138.
Race Results Timing
Timing chips will be distributed to each competitor on the back of the Race Bib (Number). You must wear the Bib and Chip on your chest (front of torso) using the included pins or a race belt. Please remember NO CHIP equals NO RESULT. Interim times will be available live on race time.
Race Rules officials & disputes
The Half Marathon event is being staged under the rules of the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) in conjunction with Athletics NSW. Experienced race officials will be on hand for the race to administer any disputes.
Prize break-down for male and female overall Half Marathon Winners:
- 1St Prize: $2,500 (aud) & trophy
- 2nd Prize: $1,500 (aud) & trophy
- 3rd Prize: $1,000 (aud) & trophy
All winners must provide personal and banking details at the award ceremony and the prize money will be electronically deposited into their account within 7 days of the event. Professional athletes must declare a tax file number.
Prizes for Age Category Winners
Medals will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes in all age categories. Overall Male and Female winners are also awarded Trophies. Random draws or participant race numbers will take place during all presentations with great prizes awarded!
The presentation of awards and prizes will be made at the completion of the Half Marathon event at approx. 10.30am on the stage next to the Event Compound.
Left Bag Security
A secure bag area will be provided at the Registration area at Camp Shortland for all competitors.
Transport to the event
Due to road closures that are in place for the event we suggest using public transport to get to the event compound. If driving, we suggest parking in the free parking on the corner of Hannell St and Honeysuckle Drive and using the Light Rail from Wickham to Pacific Park. The light Rail begins at 5.20am. Exit the Light Rail at Pacific Park and cross Scott St and follow the signs to the Foreshore and Nobbys Beach. It is approx. 700m walk to the event compound.
If parking in the City, there is paid parking at The Argyle St and Bolton St Car Parks, 1km from the event compound Newcastle CBD. If parking on the Street, note parking limits, please do not park in driveways and respect the Sunday sleep-in of residents by keeping noise to a minimum.
There is no shortage of things to do in and around the Race Compound while waiting for runners to finish. There will be food and drinks available, jumping castles for the kids and we are right next door to Nobbys Beach and Harbour. There will be live music after the presentation.
Aid Stations will be situated not more than 3.0km apart. Water and Electrolyte drinks will be available at every station. Fruit will be available at the end of the race.
Experienced and qualified medical personnel will be available at the start, on the course and finish Race compound.
The Event welcomes all participants and encourages active participation by all individuals in sports events. Our recent experience of congestion along the break-wall of Nobbys, has led us to the decision to not offer a specific wheelchair category in any of the events. We are happy to look at individual circumstances and will endeavour to provide a suitably challenging course for competitors with special needs. Please contact us directly if you have any concerns or queries.
The event requires over 120 race crew from local Service and Surf Life Saving Clubs. All organisations will be the recipients of donations or gifts for work with their projects. If you are interested in helping out, contact us at email@example.com and we will put you in touch with the volunteer coordinator.
If you are looking to stay overnight and haven’t already booked go to https://www.visitnewcastle.com.au/
Results will be available live on race day at www.hevents.com.au/results .