21.1km | $75pp | Newcastle
The inaugural Newcastle International Half Marathon is an accredited half marathon course staged along and around the picturesque Newcastle Harbour and local beaches, parks and Newcastle Foreshore. The event celebrates Newcastle’s multicultural lifestyle and growing international ties and is a great opportunity to take part in an international running event.
The event, hosted by AustCham and Ta Kung Pao, welcomes all levels of runners. For the elites a total $10,000 prize pool is on offer for the overall male and female 1st, 2nd and 3rd places.
Who’s it for?
Suitable for all standards. Anyone who 16+ can complete the course distance of 21.1km in 3 hours is welcome to participant.
The 21.1km timed race takes runners past Newcastle Harbour and foreshore before looping out towards the famous Nobby’s head before heading south along Newcastle’s pristine coastline.
The Newcastle International Half Marathon course is one of the most picturesque courses in Australia. Staged from Camp Shortland Park next to Nobbys Beach, the event meanders along the Harbour Foreshore, around Fort Scratchley, Nobbys and Newcastle Beaches, King Edward Park and along Merewether Beach. The course is not easy but has outstanding views along the entire course.
The details of the course are:
- Start and Finish from Camp Shortland, Nobbys Beach, Newcastle
- Note: Runners always stay to the right of the marked course.
- Run 200m into the Horseshoe Beach Car Park and swing left along Horseshoe Beach Rd until Wharf Rd
- Turn right into Wharf Rd and follow Wharf Rd for 1.5km to the intersection of Argyle St
- Turn right into the access for Honeysuckle Foreshore
- Runners have a marked and barricaded chute though the Honeysuckle area until Worth Place
- At Worth place runners enter the northern side of Honeysuckle Drive and run until the bike path which leads to the Newcastle Marina.
- At the edge of the Marina precinct, runners will turn and return to the Nobbys area using the same course, staying to the right.
- At Nobbys Rd roundabout runners will turn right and run up Nobbys Rd until a left turn into Fort Drive and continue until returning to Nobbys Rd
- At Nobbys Rd runners turn right onto Nobbys and then immediately right into Shortland Esplanade
- Runners run on Shortland Esplanade for 1km until they are directed to move left to the Bathers Way just south of the Ocean St
- Once on the Bathers Way, runners run past the Skate Park and into King Edward Park and then York St until the top of the park.
- At the top of King Edward Park, runners enter the Bathers Way Path until Memorial Drive where they turn left and enter Memorial Drive
- Runners follow Memorial Drive until Kilgore St, where they turn right into a short out and back section on Kilgore St and then re-enter the Bathers Way.
- Runners will run to a turn point at Merewether Beach and return to Memorial Drive and back the same path to Nobbys Beach roundabout, following the same course
- At the roundabout runners will turn right and enter the Bathers Way and Break-wall until a turn point near the sea wall of the Harbour.
- Runners will return to the finish line at Camp Shortland via the top car parks and finish chute.
Course map: https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2587492198
Note: Runners who have not completed 15km by 9.30am, will be asked to move to the footpath on Memorial Drive until King Edward Park)
1 Aug – 22 Sep
23 Sep – 4 Oct
5 – 6 Oct
Public and active transport is encouraged where possible! Please be aware that for the safety of runners, there may be some traffic controls in place and due to the large expected number of guests, parking may become busy.
Corporate & Team Entries
If you are wish to pre or post pay for a large number of competitors for your company and or organisation, please contact us and we can provide you an option to allow them to enter without paying and we will send you an account for payment prior to the event.
Cash prizes are on offer for top 3 male and female fishers.
- 1St place: $2,500 (aud) & trophy
- 2nd plcae: $1,500 (aud) & trophy
- 3rd place: $1,000 (aud) & trophy
Sunday, 6th October
Start time: 7:30am
Newcastle, NSW Australia. The course takes a stunning loop around Newcastle harbour, foreshore and coastline. Check out the course video for a stunning birds-eye view.
The $75 entry fee includes entry to the Newcastle International and finisher’s festival.